Tuesday 7 February 2017

Front cover analysis 1

In today's lesson, I looked closer at front covers and started my analysis process in which I will analyse 5 front covers, 5 contents pages and 5 double page spreads from established music magazines, fitting my genre 'Indie.' 
During the analysis of front covers, I will disuses the photo style, the conventions, colour scheme, fonts, layout and the text used. I will then go on to disuses how I will use this information when creating my own front cover.

I have looked at magazines such as NME, Q and Mojo.


Here, I will begin the analysis of the front cover from an NME magazine.


1. NME

Masthead
The mast head on this magazine is bold and bright, catching the audiences eye and standing out against the contrasting background. The mast head is large and very bold meaning the audience can acknowledge that this is the magazines name and not any other form of text on the front cover. The masthead is 3 simple letters, in which conveys simplicity. The simplistic masthead makes it memorable for the audience and easy to identify, as people don't tend to spend long looking at front covers. The masthead is located in the left corner of the magazine.
From this analysis, I have decided to use the convention of making the masthead bold, and possibly turn the font into a different colour, matching my colour scheme I am going to decide on. I am also going to use the convention of having a shot simple name for my magazine, consisting of between 3-6 letters, and then ask my TA what name they like best.

Image
In this front cover, the image is a mid shot of a solo artist pulling a shocked/confused facial expression. The image goes in front of the name of the masthead. The artist is holding a record disk, linking in with the genre by this prop used. the artist is wearing a black relaxed shirt with the top button undone, giving him a more relaxed look. There is only 1 photo on the front cover- this being the mid shot of the male soloist. The image in is the centre of the page, with the rule of thirds being used into practice here, as he is in centre line with the page.
The male is pulling an unusual facial expression, with his head tilted to one side.
From this analysis, I have decided that I am going to use the convention of only using 1 image on my front cover, and use a soloist, with the soloist being in the centre of the image, as this is a popular convention in a music magazine. I am also going to get my model to wear 'relaxed' clothing, rather than something too smart. I am going to ensure that my photo is taken within the rule of thirds, so that the model is in the centre of the photograph. However, I don't think that I am going to put the image in front of the name of the magazine, because I feel it is important to keep the magazines identity and not mask the masthead with a image, because after all, the masthead is what makes a magazine unique.

Colour scheme
This magazine used the colour scheme of black, white and red. This is a tri colour scheme, which is a popular convention I have noticed when doing my initial research. The main colour scheme is having monochrome, then 1-2 dominant colour, in this case this colour is red. The important information such as the magazines name and the artists name is highlighted in this bold colour, the the colour is carried through onto the other pages of the magazine. I have decided that I am going to use this feature of using a tri colour scheme in my magazine, as it is a highly used convention of a magazine and therefor would give it a professional finish. I am going to use monochrome then 1 dominant colour, which I will get my target audience to decide when I do my questionnaire, I am also going to ensure that the most important information on my front cover is highlighted in the main colour I am going to choose. From looking at this magazines contents page and double age spread, I am going to ensure that a house style of colour is carried through to all my pages, as this is what my magazine has done. 

Text
Again as previously mentioned, I am going to ensure that the most important text is highlighted in the dominant colour i am going to decide to use. the text on this front cover is all in capital and is all in a clear bold font. The article information on the front cover has the heading information for the article, with some subtext underneath suggesting to the audience what the article is about. The majority of the story's on the front mentions artists name, which will attract the TA to buy the magazine, because if they see an artists name that they like, they will want to know what the magazine article is about. The text on the front cover also has a 'plus' section, suggesting to the audience that there is more story's than just the ones on the front cover.
From this research, I have decided that I am going to add lots of different artist names to my front cover, as this is a popular magazine convention and therefor has an appeal to the TA. I am going to write all of my text in capitals as it is bold, eye catching and clear to read. I am also going to add my text in the relevant places that this magazine has, for example, add a list of artists down either the left or right side of the page. I am going to write the main article either right in the middle of the page, or make it large towards the bottom of the page. 

General conventions
This magazine has the general contentions of a bar code, a website link, a masthead, a image, text and subtext, price and main article story being large at the bottom.
From my observation of their front cover, I am going to add these features to my magazine as they will give it a professional quality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment